Twin Birth Story

Hello, Hello! My twin birth story was one of the harder posts for me to write,  but I think it’s important to share in hopes it can help someone else who is generally curious, scared about delivering and/or carrying multiples! I also wanted to make sure I included as much information as possible, so I’m sorry that this is a long one! I wrote as I remembered everything, as if I was talking to you – so I’m sorry in advance if there are any grammar/spelling errors. xx A

I think it’s safe to say our twin birth story started way before I went into labor. With multiples there are a lot more factors you need to consider! And there was a lot of back and fourth about whether or not to have a vaginal birth or a C-Section. Marc and I considered all the risks and complications that came along with both and it was something we discussed and debated for weeks.

When I first found out I was pregnant with twins, I was terrified of the thought that I could have a C-Section. In fact,  at our first 8 week ultrasound when the nurse mentioned it to me I instantly started crying that carrying multiples put me at risk for it. However, as I learned more from other mothers who carried and delivered multiples I realized I wasn’t just scared of having a C-Section, but of delivering both ways. We educated and prepared for both, realizing anything could happen and told the doctors all we wanted was for a safe delivery and wanted to do whatever they thought was best. With no health complications and with both babies in head-down position they advised us that I was an ideal candidate for a vaginal delivery if I wanted to try… of course this didn’t help! Haha! I was hoping the babies positioning would decide for us!!

As time went on we learned that Baby B was bigger than Baby A, which isn’t ideal for a vaginal delivery because it’s not uncommon for Baby B to get stressed and/or flip after Baby A is delivered, which could have led to a emergency C-Section. The last thing I wanted was to deliver Baby A vaginally and then to have an emergency C-Section – oyyyy, I did not want to have to recover both ways!!!

Our practice wanted me to deliver at 38 weeks and to have a date scheduled with the hospital – either an induction or C-Section. Still unsure what to do, we decided to just have a C-Section scheduled just to get it in the calendar. We learned it’s easier to change a C-Section to an Induction if I wanted to try to deliver vaginally first, and that gave us some extra time to discuss what to do. Then at 34 weeks, my ultrasound specialist told me that my placenta was showing signs of aging and recommended for me to actually deliver sooner between 37 and 38 weeks. That news bumped up our scheduled date, which for me was a huge relief, haha! At that point I couldn’t imagine carrying them any longer than I needed to. With that news, we also kept hearing I could go into labor at any time, so that uncertainty kept us on our toes! I remember showing some signs of pre-term labor around this time (cramping and flu-like symptoms – nausea and diarrhea) and really thinking it was going to happen any day! Haha. These symptoms were consistent until I delivered.

After months of debating what to do, Marc and I finally decided to do what we felt was the best decision for us, to have the C-Section. While I was terrified to be cut open awake, it also brought us comfort knowing that there were no labor uncertainties with this decision. We could read and memorize exactly how the delivery would go and that was exactly what we did… over and over again… but that’s exactly my personality. I don’t like the unknown. I like feeling like I know what’s going to happen and when – something that isn’t guaranteed with a Vaginal Delivery with multiples.

The night before was the strangest feeling.  My sister came over and we all hung out until late because I couldn’t sleep! I did everything I could to “get ready” for the big day. Even though I couldn’t sleep, I remember feeling calm. There was no sense of urgency, so it just felt weird, haha. I took a long shower in the middle of the night, attempted to shave my legs (and failed hahaha), and applied my favorite self tanner spray – honestly I was just trying to keep myself distracted! I couldn’t sleep and was just researching and reading more about other people’s C-Section experiences. I finally drifted asleep, but not for long. We both were wide awake at 5am just SO excited. We made it!!! We were finally going to meet our boys and I wasn’t going to be pregnant any longer!!! We enjoyed our last morning at home, I put on a little make-up and curled my hair (haha!) and we took Ralphie for a walk. Even though we had four hours before we had to be at the hospital, the morning flew by.

As soon as I got in the car my nerves caught up to me. It was finally REAL. When we got out of the car and walked through the hospital doors I just broke down. This was it! Everything was happening today and since there was no sense of urgency (adrenaline) I was an emotional mess. I cried walking into the hospital, the labor wing, through the last steps of registration and in the waiting room, ha! It was just waterworks over here! My emotions were all over the place. At this point I was so ready to just get it over it, but time was going so slow. It felt like we were waiting forever, and I was doing everything I could to distract myself (literally was reading all the hospital brochures hahah!) Finally a nurse came out to get us and we walked into the pre-op room. When we got there, she asked me to change out of my street clothes and into the robe and socks on the bed. They also brought scrubs for Marc to change into. Once we got back there and started the process of preparing for surgery I was anxious, but felt a little better.

Two days prior they had me come to the hospital to get some blood work done, but she said they still needed to take some more blood. Once I was changed, she came back in to get me on IV, do the blood work and put monitor on my stomach to listen to the babies. We got to the hospital around 9:15am and at this point it was around 10am (my delivery was scheduled for 11am). She prepared my hand for the IV and was going to draw blood from there for the blood work tests. After getting needles done for the last 10 months I thought I was a champ! Little did I know that this would be the second most painful experience of my delivery! Yes, I know I’m a baby to pain, but I really was not expecting it to hurt so badly. It was just the initial insertion though, the pain didn’t last long. I was mostly just taken aback by it.

Once I was on IV, I started to get really cold. This side effect may seem random, but I also remember my my feet and ankles got really itchy. I kept having to ask Marc to itch them, ha. Around this time, my parents had arrived and all I wanted was to say hi to them. One-by-one they let them come back to say hi for a brief moment. When Marc came back in, the nurse came back to say that my Iron levels were really low, something I wasn’t familiar with, and this delayed our surgery. I was trying to focus on myself and not the bajillion other things they were monitoring and doing, but I believe they were worried if I would lose a lot of blood they would need to have a transfusion ready and that’s what was holding us up.

While we were waiting, other nurses, doctors, all the anesthesiologists (I had 4 total) and our OB came in one-by-one to introduce themselves and say hi. They all asked similar questions, and I had to verbally answer the same questions over and over and over again – my name, why I was there, if I elected to have a C-Section, why I was having it…. I also had to sign consent forms. They also wanted to make sure I didn’t have any additional questions about the procedure. My emotions came and went in waves, but I was still pretty calm here. All of this took about 2+ more hours, all while they were having my blood tested and examined further.

Also during this time, our post-op baby nurse came over to say hi and ask me if I had any questions. She had recently had a C-Section herself and was so helpful! She calmed my nerves, shared her personal experience and gave me the best piece of advice; she said that no matter what anyone says, to not eat the rest of the day and to only sip ginger ale and tea. She explained the painful gas pressure that is accompanied with C-Sections and how bad it can actually be. If you haven’t heard of this, this is important! There is a lot of gas pressure that builds up after surgery, and that pressure pushes out on your incision, which can hurt a LOT if you don’t do everything you can to prevent it from building up. She said that it’s best just not to eat the rest of the day, and then once I’m able to stand up to go to the bathroom to ask for a stool softener and suppository that would help release the painful gas pressure. I had heard this before from another mom, and when she mentioned her guidelines I followed the advice to a T!

At 12:30PM the nurse came back to say it was time. They had me get up and walk to the OR, pushing my IV with me. We walked out of pre-op, through the double doors and then they said to say bye to Marc. This is where things took a turn! Saying goodbye was so hard – while I knew what was about to happen, I was terrified of what it would feel and be like and I hated that he couldn’t be in there with me.

I walked into the OR and there were the 10+ doctors and nurses I met previously all setting up. The table was in the middle of the room, surrounded by so many lights, tables of the knives and equipment, machines and in the corner were the two beds for our boys. That gave me some relief, but seeing everything was surreal. I broke down again, as one nurse tugged on her face mask and directed me to sit on the edge of the bed. I was completely exposed on my backside and that’s when it hit me just how cold the room was. Everyone was so nice, but they were ready to go. As soon as I sat down, they started to raise the bed, and the nurse that directed me over stood in front of me and explained to me step-by-step what was about to happen. She explained they were going to give me a antibiotic through the IV in my hand and that it “might” burn.

I was so scared about the epidural, I didn’t even flinch when she said that. They connected my hand to something and HOLY HELL. I think I actually said, WTF!! As I burst into tears. It didn’t just burn, it felt like my hand exploded! The nurse in front of me grabbed my other hand and pulled me into her chest to console me. She then asked me what music I wanted to listen to, and I don’t know why but I immediately said Drake, haha! I guess I needed pump-up music?! Not going to lie, it did help a lot!!!

While this was happening they were prepping me for the epidural. I was trying to calm down and relax and they were talking about the boys and their names. I apologized for my reaction and we all laughed, haha. She said it was a common reaction and we chatted about who was going to take pictures once the boys were delivered (FYI – the anesthesiologists stay in the room for the whole procedure in case something happens, so they’re usually the ones who have the free hands to take the pics!).

At this point, more and more people were walking in and out of the operating room doing things to get ready. I couldn’t keep up with it all, but I also didn’t want to. I was trying to focus on the nurse in front of me. They were sterilizing my back with a cold liquid, it felt like they were painting on my back. They talked me through the entire epidural procedure and told me to breath and not move. I sat on the edge still, with my head and back curled into the nurse in front of me who was holding me tight. They then said that they were going to give me the the first shot, which was like getting a shot of Novocain before getting a cavity filled. It was a super short pinch! It didn’t feel great, but it really wasn’t bad. This shot was to numb the area before they did the epidural. I lost all sense of time, but the epidural took longer to complete – I would guess about 60-90 seconds.

The epidural wasn’t painful, but it didn’t feel “good”. I can definitely see if you’re in active labor, having contractions how this could be a lot worst! But since I wasn’t, it was easier to sit still and breath through it. It honestly just felt weird that they were poking around so deep in your back. Looking back now, this really wasn’t worth getting so upset over. I was sooooo sooo scared of this part, and if you focus on something (play your favorite pre-game music) it’s not so bad.

The epidural hits almost instantly, and I remember my left leg went numb first and panicking that my right side wasn’t feeling numb; but they reassured me that it would be okay! They told me to scoot over so I could lay down and bring my legs up one at a time. I needed help with this. As soon as I was laying down, everything happened so much faster. They had me make a diamond with my legs so they could insert the catheter. Again, this was something that I was nervous about, but I couldn’t feel any of this. After that they straightened and strapped my legs down to the table. The table was shaped a little like a cross and they had me laid back with my arms out to the sides. There was a LOT going on, and the anesthesiologists sat at my head and kept asking questions to keep me distracted. I was pretty terrified of all the people who were now all around me/ not sure what they were doing and  tearfully answered their questions. Before I knew it our OB walked-in. I was so choked up, I struggled to talk to anyone. I remember Dr. Pete asked what the names were and I couldn’t even answer. They then did some tests to see if I felt any pain – I literally couldn’t feel anything – which was a relief, but I was still scared about what was about to go down! Shaking my head, “no”, they put up the curtain and said they were ready for Marc to come in. FINALLY!!!

Prepping for surgery took about 30 minutes and we were right on schedule ( I walked in at 12:30 and it was 1Pm). Once Marc sat down by my head, they said it would be 5 minutes until we met our babies. Seeing Marc was the best feeling!! I know it’s to keep the surgical space sterile, but I really hated being separated from him. As soon as Marc sat down they proceeded. Dr. Pete talked us through the entire procedure, step-by-step, and again I couldn’t feel anything. I heard from others that you feel a ton of tugging and pulling that causes you to feel nauseous, but I honestly didn’t feel any of that. It felt more like someone was just touching and gently rubbing my stomach. I remember holding my breath, just waiting to feel SOMETHING, but I honestly couldn’t feel much at all.

At 1:05 he announced that Baby A was about to come out, and at 1:06 Parker was born! Marc and I were so relieved to hear that first cry. It was the best sound!!! We cried and laughed – we just couldn’t believe it! While this was happening, Dr. Pete leaned over to say that he was so glad we chose to have the C-Section. Baby B went breeched (a complication we worried about) and they couldn’t flip him. He was born breeched at 1:08. Again, we held our breath waiting for Preston’s cry and laughed and cried when he was born! I didn’t have a chance to get a good look of them, because they immediately took the babies to be cleaned up, but Marc took some pictures to show me. About 5 minutes later they brought them over to us!

This was hands down the very best feeling holding, seeing and smelling them for the first time. I honestly have no words to describe it! After meeting both babies, they took them back again one-by-one to be weighed, measured and all that stuff. It was amazing to have a few special moments alone with each of them.

After the babies were born the rest of the C-Section took about 45 minutes, but we were so wrapped up in our babies it didn’t feel long at all. I was shocked by how quick it was. Once we got going, it honestly wasn’t bad at all! The worst part was all the nerves leading up to it, and I realized I worked myself up over nothing. A lot of you asked about pain level, and like I mentioned the most painful parts for me were getting the IV in my hand and when they put the antibiotics in my IV – which were also during moments when I felt most scared and vulnerable, so that could have played a role in why I thought it hurt so bad.

After they were done closing my incisions and cleaning the wound they rolled me onto my side so that could shift me over off the operating table and onto a bed on wheels and then handed me both the babies. I was so happy it was over!!! Little did I know I would then have a tough recovery…

Still holding both babies they pushed me into a post-op room, and the post-op nurse came over to collect them. I didn’t really know what was happening at this point, but they hooked me up to a machine and started loading me with blanket warmers and handed me a handheld oxygen breather. They told me to breath into it and hold as long as I could – it felt impossible to do. They said my body temperature was too low to hold the babies and I needed to get to a certain degree Celsius before I could. I remember being so confused, because I felt so hot. They were also monitoring my blood pressure, although at this point I was just concentrating on raising my body temp. I remember fighting to wiggle my feet, thinking in my head if I started moving more, I would increase blood flow and maybe that would raise my temperature faster.

Thirty minutes went by and nothing changed, an hour… I was growing desperate to see my babies, which were down this hallway out of sight. I remember crying out of frustration, which of course didn’t help my blood pressure. As I slowly gained feeling back in my legs, I wiggled more and more. I don’t actually know if it helped, but eventually my temperature started to raise. With each increase, Marc and I would cheer and laugh, but I still felt heartbroken that I was robbed of such  precious bonding time.

Two hours went past; I was shocked this was taking so long! Since I was the only one in post-op, they allowed my family to come in and see the babies and eventually they let them hold them by my bedside. I was still under layers of heat blankets up to my neck. With my family around, time went a little faster. Around 5:30/6 PM my temperature hit where it needed to be and they said that my recovery room was ready. FINALLY they handed me the babies again, and started wheeling me out of post-op. We rounded a corner and our families were there in the waiting area – which should have been a feel good moment quickly turned south and I immediately started feeling nauseous. They rushed me upstairs in case I was going to be sick (luckily I didn’t) but it did delay taking an pain medication right away.

Once we were settled in our room, I was FINALLY able to do skin-to-skin! It was so special!!! Definitely worth the wait. It was so precious snuggling with them and having some alone time. Nothing else mattered at this point.

After another hour or so our families came back to join us again. Like I mentioned above, I followed the post-up nurse’s advice to a T and didn’t attempt to eat anything, and I will say it definitely helped so much! Since I still had the catheter in me, I wasn’t able to leave the bed; however, I started noticing the incision pain when I shifted funny or tried to blow my nose – and yes! The gas pressure pain is REAL. Trying to fart felt impossible. Around this time I also had my first taste of hospital ice cubes and let me tell you – they are SO refreshing!!! I couldn’t eat them fast enough, haha. I will say one thing that surprised me was the catheter – it was so nice not having to get up to go to the bathroom. Totally random, I know! But I was a fan of this part, haha! I was actually bummed when they had to remove it in the middle of the night (they remove within 12 hours of surgery to prevent infection). And no, it doesn’t hurt when they remove it!

As I mentioned earlier, I followed the post-op baby nurse’s information to a T (this really does help!!!) And, yes! I took all the drugs the hospital offered me! The pain meds they offered (Motrin and Percocet) do not cross over to the babies, which was an original concern of mine (I didn’t want anything to interfere with breastfeeding). As far as the incision goes, you are definitely “sore” and uncomfortable, but it definitely was not as bad as I imagined it would be. It’s important to speak up to your nurses if you’re ever too uncomfortable. Our nurses were all so wonderful, so I wasn’t afraid to page for them with any question or concern.

The first two trips to the bathroom are interesting, because they want you to go with your nurse so she can help you, but it wasn’t that terrible! They also wanted me to be sitting up in one of our room chairs first thing in the morning, and I was able to do it all by myself! I spent a lot of the following morning on my feet and walking around in my room and I did get a little uncomfortable, but it wasn’t anything too unbearable. It’s important to note that the nurses don’t just give you your pain medication on a schedule (they only keep track to monitor what you had last and when), so if you’re at all starting to feel any pain or discomfort while recovering, page them sooner than later (it can take awhile if there with another patient!).

I’m now just over two weeks out and I feel 90% heeled. Even a week ago, I felt almost 80% and walked a ton when my family was in town. The discomfort/pain really only lasts about a week and is mostly gone by two weeks! I still sometimes feel a little tweak, but it’s nothing horrible and I never once cried over it – so if I can do it anyone can! xx

Most frequently asked questions:

Twins coming in August! Are you breastfeeding and how’s it going? 

So exciting!! Breastfeeding has been a little challenging, but has been a goal of mine and I refuse to give up! It’s important not to get upset and do what’s best for your baby (or babies!) – so if you need to supplement, it’s okay!! Due to tongue and lip ties, both babies were not latching properly at first. For the first week, I pumped what I could and used formula and we spoon and cup fed them (literally used a medicine cup and they would slurp it up!) However, that was only sufficient for the first week. I was hesitant to introduce bottles too early on because I didn’t want to interfere with breastfeeding. We met with a lactation consultant, who recommended a doctor in NYC to do the lip and tongue tie procedure (he was amazing!!!), and when they were a week and 1 day old we had it done. It was night and day from there! We did introduce these bottles, which were recommended by our lactation consultant, and have started breastfeeding as well! They have been able to feed both ways!

Is your husband supportive? Or too overwhelmed to function properly? 

Marc’s been super hands on and a huge help! When we were in the hospital he did every diaper change and swaddle – In fact, he taught me how to do these things haha! It’s been fun seeing him as a father.

Managing sleep with twins? 

Hahaha, let’s just say it’s their world and we’re just living in it! It’s definitely been an adjustment! It’s definitely doable with two people, but it’s still not easy.  I fell apart this week due to the lack of sleep – it’s important just to ask for help when you need it and to sleep when you can! I know this stage is only temporary, so just keep reminding yourself that!

Can you tell them apart? If not what have you and Marc done to help you? 

At first it was really hard! Especially when they were both in hospital hats and blankets. Without the hats, we were able to tell them apart by their hair, haha. Parker has a full head of dark hair!

How old are you? Did you guys try naturally or IVF? I’m 27 and scared if I wait I won’t get pregnant quickly. But you have been so inspiring to me! 

I wrote an entire blog post about this 🙂 , but I am 29 and we got pregnant when I was 28 and we did conceive naturally using ovulation tests (blog post linked here).

Why did you choose the names Parker and Preston? 

Honestly this was probably the easiest decision Marc and I ever made – I was expecting it to take us FOREVER! Haha. When we were first thinking of names, we were trying to think of combinations that sounded good together and didn’t even think of these names at first. In fact, these names weren’t even on my initial baby name list that I’ve been building for years! We were all over the place, but eventually agreed on finding names that started with or had the letter “P” in them. I love alliteration and with our last name being Pierre, we were also thinking about names that sounded good with that too! Making up the “P” rule narrowed down our options a TON and I remember being in the shower and running through the list of “P” names in my head and saying combinations out loud and I instantly fell in love with Parker and Preston. That was really it! The next week Marc came home and suggested their middle names (Parker John – John, after my dad and Preston Charles – Charles, coming from his side and Marc’s middle name) and I loved how they sounded together. It was a lot easier than I ever imagined, haha.

Were you able to have skin-to-skin immediately after your section? Did you get to hold both right away or only one? 

Unfortunately, no. My blood pressure spiked, my body temperature dropped and my oxygen levels were low. After I left the operating room, I had to recover on my own – this was the hardest thing to not do skin-to-skin right away. I was in one section of the post-op room and the babies were on the other end (out of sight).  For about 5 hours I had to lay under heated blankets and breath into a handheld pump to increase my oxygen levels. It seemed like it was taking forever for my temperature to rise and each decimal was the biggest achievement – we would watch the machine and laugh and cheer as it slowwwwwly increased. However, for most of my initial recovery, I just remember crying out of frustration that this was happening (which didn’t help my blood pressure!) and feeling so hot, even though my body temperature didn’t reflect that. Eventually, they did allow my family to come visit (even though the rule was one person at a time) and they were able to hold the babies at my bedside.

Did a nurse do anything specific that helped or hurt your birth? Future L&D nurse! 

We had a bunch of great nurses during our stay! The ones that stick out were very personable and went the “extra mile” (i.e. stayed to chat and get to know us, helped with breastfeeding, made us feel comfortable, etc.). I found that everyone had a different opinion about this or that, and it can get overwhelming or frustrating when you’re first trying to figure out what to do. The best nurses were the ones that gave their advice, but were patient, understanding and not pushy.

How many kilos/pounds did the boys weigh and how much did you drop after delivery? 

The boys weighed about 13 pounds total and when they weighed me the day after delivery I only lost 13 pounds, haha! I was definitely expecting it to be more, but just laughed! I’m now just over two weeks out and have lost 50 pounds since.

How many minutes apart? 

They were born two minutes apart!

Will you have help with the cute little babes? Seems like you have great family support!

We are currently playing it by ear! Right now my mom is in town helping us. She’s been amazing and I’m going to be so sad when she leaves this week! But we also live in the same building as Marc’s family, so we have lots of family support! 🙂 As far as hiring extra help, I think were going to take it day-by-day and see how we are managing on our own first.

Were both babies breeched? 

Only Baby B, Preston.

Everything twin moms should know going into birth? 

That whether you’re delivering vaginally or via C-Section, you have to deliver in a OR. That and the fact that anything can happen was something that was unnerving for me. Both my babies were head down for weeks, and Baby B flipped and went breeched after Baby A was delivered. He couldn’t be flipped and was delivered breeched. This was a concern of ours for a few months and were so glad we chose to have the C-Section because it most likely would have resulted anyways.

How did you decide which twin was Parker/Preston?

My mom told me she heard that with twins it’s best to name them in alphabetical order, since that’s how they’ll likely be address through school, etc. It made sense and made our lives a little easier! So we agreed that the first twin out was going to be Parker and the second twin would be Preston! 🙂

How much did they weigh? 

Parker was 6 pounds and 1 ounce and Preston was 6 pounds and 10 ounces.

Does the epidural hurt?

Surprisingly, no! It doesn’t “feel good”, but it wasn’t painful. The first shot that goes in numbs the area and is like getting a shot of Novocain in your mouth before having a cavity filled. It’s a small pinch. Then the second is the epidural. It probably took 30-60 seconds to do and there’s a little pressure and discomfort – I honestly thought it felt more weird than anything. While it was happening one nurse was hugging me to sit still on the edge of the bed. I never got her name, but she helped so much. The numbing almost hits immediately, it’s crazy!

What happened with your BP? I have high BP and will be induced soon! 

My BP was in a normal range my entire pregnancy and was never brought up as “high” or “elevated”, so I’m not entirely sure when or how it happened. I was told 2 days after I delivered that I ended up having preeclampsia. They just monitored it the whole time I was at the hospital!

Is one taller than the other? 

The babies were 20” and 21”.

Are the twins identical or fraternal? 

The twins are fraternal.

What to bring home from the hospital? Other than the babies of course! 

We brought home EVERYTHING and I recommend to do so if you have the same opportunity! They said we could take home everything in the room and even packed us extra bags of things we wanted more of. It was amazing!

Where were their cute bonnets from? 

The bonnets were from Estella NYC – linked here!

Can you share your nursing tanks? 

The nursing tanks are a couple different ones from Target – linked here.

How was your hospital stay? Was it anything you imagined? 

The nurses were great! However, the hospital stay was definitely more challenging than I ever imagined. Just the noise, beeps and interruptions to have vitals checks or shift changes – it was a lot with the lack of sleep. I know everyone was just doing their jobs, but I hardly slept the whole 3 days I was there and every time I fell asleep, I was woken up to something else. By the third day, I was so over-exhausted and just so emotional.

What clothes should mama bring to the hospital? 

Honestly, don’t pack too much! The first day I was SO hot and sweating uncontrollably. I wore my hospital gown during the day. The second and third day I wore an oversized nightie and robe (black ones shown above in photos). The last thing I thought about was getting up to change, and I’m glad I didn’t pack too much for myself. I left the hospital in the same black ribbed cotton dress I showed up in – linked here.

How long did it take for your milk to come in? 

I was leaking for the last couple months of my pregnancy, and I had produced a lot of colostrum, which was great! This lasted the first 24-36 hours and then it slowly got more watery and eventually turned into breast milk – craziest transition to see!

What was Ralphie’s reaction? 

Ralphie’s reaction was so funny. At first he didn’t notice the twins (we had carried them in in their stroller bassinets). Once he calmed down (he was pretty excited after not seeing us for a few days), Marc pulled one of the babies out and was holding him in a chair about 6 feet from where Ralph was sitting and the baby moved and Ralph just STARED at him like, “what the heck is that!?” It was hilarious. We later held Ralphie and brought the baby over so he could smell. He was so sweet!!! The rest of the night he was curious, but gentle and just sat where he could watch over them.

How long were you in labor? 

Because I had a scheduled C-Section, I was never in active labor.

Postpartum basics? 

In the hospital I only wore my nightie and robe. I lived in their underwear my whole stay and about 10 days after I was dispatched. Since I’ve been home I’ve been living in nursing camisoles! I also love these underwear so much!! Wish I found them when I was pregnant too (but also great if you’re not pregnant)!

What belly band are you using? 

The belly band that I am wearing is linked in the post here!

Did you get a room for yourself or had to share? 

Not sure how it is in other parts of the country, but in New York you’re not guaranteed your own recovery room, and in most cases it can cost you $$$ to have your own private room! Because of the twins, the hospital gave us a private room (because of the extra attention we needed), but we got lucky.. it wasn’t guaranteed. While I was recovering in post-op we were told there were no rooms available at first, and somewhere along the 5 hours I was recovering one room opened up for us! I do see the value in paying for the private room, I was fully prepared to do so myself! Having Marc with me 24/7 was so worth it (something that isn’t allowed when you’re sharing a room), as well as having our parents come and hang with us all day.

Did you have a lot of leg swelling after C Section? 

Yes! I thought I was swollen before I delivered, and the swelling just got worse and worse after I delivered. Most of my swelling was knee down and after I delivered it went up my whole leg. I couldn’t even bend my legs to get out of bed – that’s how bad it was! The swelling just takes time though – I’m 2.5 weeks out now and it’s almost all gone. Wearing compression socks helped so much!!! I linked the ones I got here.

8 thoughts on “Twin Birth Story

  1. Amazing adventure! Thanks for your honesty, Andrea. Life isn’t always roses😊, but the outcome is worth it! Best wishes for what’s yet to come!

  2. Soooo glad you shared!! I’ve been following your pregnancy & I’ve enjoyed your journey. My husband and I are expecting twin boys in Nov (fraternal also) so your journey has truly been a big help. Thanks for sharing!!

    1. Hi!! Congrats to you!!!! I’m so glad I can help 🙂 Please reach out if you have any other questions! xx

  3. What a beautiful birth story! It made me tear up thinking of my c-section delivery 20 months ago! I can relate to so many things you said! The operating room is so intimidating and the nurse that holds you during the epidural is one I remember the most! She was like my husband at the time when all you need is a comforting hug! I will always remember her face, voice and just sweet presence! Congratulations mama!

    1. Hi Alysha! Awww thank you so much for stopping by 🙂 Haha! It’s so true! That nurse was so amazing and comforting – I wish I got her name so I could thank her! xx

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.