Happy Friday loves! I’m currently on board a flight to Chicago to celebrate one of my best friend’s bachelorette weekend. I’ve never been happier to be on a airplane hahah. It’s been a whirlwind of a week! Just so much going on with work and my personal life, then I came down with the nastiest cold and I totally overlooked my flight itinerary and thought my flight was at 11:30 this morning, when in actuality it was at 10:30! The best part? I didn’t realize until I called my Uber at 9:45 am and checked my phone at 10 am to see what terminal I had to go to. HA! Let’s just say, when I told my Uber driver I had 30 minutes to make a flight, we both just starting CRACKING up and simultaneously said, “yep! DEFINITELY not making it”.
Luckily, I made standby.. 🙂 So here we are! Life’s a picnic, and if you’re not finding the humor in all of life’s craziness and mishaps, you’re doing it wrong. ALSO, if you HAVEN’T had a picnic this summer, trust me.. you’re doing summer wrong. Very, very wrong. 😛 But don’t worry! There is still plenty of time for you to get out there! Since I’ve had my fair share of picnics, while living in the city, I wanted to share my simple techniques for having a perfect picnic! Of course, if you have any tips of your own I would love for you to comment below. Xx
- Scout a location – location can mean everything when you’re trying to have the perfect picnic! You don’t want to walk too far into a park when you’re carrying everything, but you also don’t want to sit too close to the entrance (trust me on this, nothing is worst than someone eyeballing your guacamole). Also, finding a perfect shady area is important and it will also give you a cool breeze.
- Check the weather – does this even need an explanation? 😉
- COLD drinks – I’ve had my failed attempts at packing a “cooler”. But let’s be honest, those never last nearly as long. On the way there, buy a bag of ice – you’ll thank me when your drinks are chilled for hours. Talking about drinks, having the perfect drink is important – after all, you need to stay hydrated! 😛 My favorite picnic drink is Truly Spiked Sparkling. It’s light, refreshing, low-calorie and pairs well with so many food options. The fruity flavors are fun year round too, but especially during the summer. My favorite is the grapefruit! If you’re not familiar, you can search for where it’s sold here.
- The perfect picnic basket. Nothing screams picnic professional like a classic wicker basket. Plus, can they be any cuter!?! These darling sets come with everything you need, and it’s all reusable! I found four options you can shop below and they’re all on sale. Woo! Woo!
- Lined Blanket. We’ve all been there.. you plant down in what you think is a dry area and then, boom! You’ve gotta wet bum. Solution? My picnic basket came with a lined blanket, but if you don’t go that route you can always buy a cheap shower curtain and lay that down under your blanket. The shower curtain underneath will protect your blanket and your bum from any sneaky wet grounds!
- Easy menu. While packing your own picnic is fun, it can be a lot of work. And who wants more work, when you’re already packing up a bunch to transport. My picnic pro solution? Order take-out on the way there, or stop by your local grocery and pick-up a few favorites from their hot food/salad bar! Not only does it already come packaged, but you can easily dispose of everything afterwards. Voila! I stopped by my local Taco stand for some of my favorites! Fish tacos, street corn and guacamole!
- De-bug/ Sunscreen. Nothing is worst than bugs, nothing. Well, I take that back. Nothing is worst than wrinkles! So don’t forget to wear sunscreen too!
- Music/entertainment. Whether your pleasure is listening to music, reading or taking a siesta, come prepared with your favorite way to pass time!
- Trash bag. Don’t resort to sitting to closely to a trash can, so you don’t have to make 100 trips at the end of your picnic. Pack a trash bag for easy clean-up! It’s as simple as that!